Which Vehicles Are Tested
|Chevrolet||Avalanche 2500 Series ¾ Ton|
|Silverado 2500/3500 Series|
|Dodge||RAM 2500/3500 Series|
|GMC||Sierra 2500/3500 Series|
Note: These vehicles are given as examples. This is not a comprehensive list.
* No longer exempt as of 2011
§ No longer made
Manufacturers do not test every new vehicle offered for sale. They are only required to test one representative vehicle—typically a preproduction prototype—for each combination of loaded vehicle weight class, transmission class, and basic engine.
Some vehicles are exempt from these requirements:
- Large vehicles prior to 2011: Vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)1 over 8,500 pounds, such as larger pickup trucks and SUVs
- Large vehicles from 2011 onward:
- Pickup trucks and cargo vans with GVWR over 8,500 pounds
- Passenger vehicles, such as SUVs and passenger vans with GVWR of 10,000 or more
1GVWR is the weight of the vehicle, all fluids, and its maximum carrying capacity.